Ooooohhh the claw....
I love the aliens from Toy Story. These guys were fairly easy to make and you don't need a lot of special supplies, so I figured I'd share with you how I made them.
Here's what you'll need:
- Circle or oval shaped cookies
- Bright green piping and flood icing - I used Americolor electric green and it was the perfect shade, no tweaking needed
- Purple piping icing
- White flood icing
- Black flood icing
If you've never decorated cookies with royal icing before, check out Sweetopia's tutorial here for an explanation on the icing consistencies that you'll need.
1. Outline the basic shape of the alien's head with piping consistency icing and a #1.5 tip. I used my KopyKake projector, but if you don't have one, you still have a couple of options. You can use Sugarbelle's push-pin technique, or you can make the whole alien as a royal icing transfer and then stick him to the cookie with a dab of royal icing when you're done.
2. Once you have your outline, fill in with green flood icing. Add a triangle to the top of his head using flood icing. Allow it to dry for at least 15 minutes and then add a dot on top of the triangle using flood icing. Add the purple collar using a #3 tip.
3. Let cookies dry overnight (or at least 6-8 hours).
4. When the base coat is dry, use white flood icing to make 3 eyes and immediately add a drop of black flood icing to the center. Again, the push pin trick would work well here if you don't have a projector.
5. Use the same green piping icing with a #1.5 tip to outline the mouth. Fill in with black flood icing.
6. That's it! Allow to dry for another 3-4 hours before packaging.